1. All children have equal access to education.
2. All children learn alongside their same-age peers.
3. The focus of education is on the child's abilities, not disabilities.
4. Children become accepting and understanding of one another's abilities, talents, personalities and needs.
5. Meaningful relationships and friendships develop as students spend quality time with one another.
6. Students develop confidence in their ability to interact with one another and the world around them.
7. Teachers in inclusive schools are highly trained and skilled at delivering appropriate, student-centered curriculum through differentiated activities according to ability level.
8. In addition to the classroom teacher, children with special needs are supported by special education teachers, paraprofessionals, and specialists such as Speech/Language Therapists.
9. Various resources and assistive technologies are available to students in inclusive schools in an effort to reach and teach all learners.
10. Inclusive schools value input and participation from the whole community, not just students. Everyone is welcome!
Do you have any other reasons to add to this list?